- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Combine milk, flour, eggs, vanilla, and salt in a blender and mix on low speed until smooth (you can also mix by hand with a whisk until mostly smooth, a few small lumps may remain but that’s ok).
- Spray a 13×9 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Position oven rack in bottom 1/3 of oven and preheat to 450 degrees F. When oven is almost preheated, place butter in prepared baking pan and place in oven until butter is hot and sizzling. Carefully pour the batter into the hot pan (one reason I love making the batter in the blender: easy pouring. Otherwise, it may be easier to remove the pan from the oven, pour in the batter, then put it back in the oven).
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and fluffy.
- Slice and serve hot with maple syrup and powdered sugar.
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 cup chopped or whole pecans
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/2 pound thick-sliced applewood-smoked bacon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil (for easy cleaning) and place a wire baking rack on top.
- Combine the brown sugar and pecans in a food processor and process until the pecans are finely ground. Add the salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and pulse to combine. Add the maple syrup and pulse again to moisten the crumbs.
- Cut each bacon slice in half crosswise and line up the pieces on the baking rack without touching. With a small spoon, evenly spread the pecan mixture on top of each piece of bacon, using all of the mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the topping is very browned but not burnt. If it's underbaked, the bacon won't crisp as it cools.
- While it's hot, transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside to cool. Serve at room temperature. (The caramelized bacon can be made early in the day and stored at room temperature.)